A single hung window consists of two sashes, one on the top that does not move and another one on the bottom that does move vertically. Contrast single-hung windows with fixed windows (consisting of one sash that does not move) or double-hung windows (consisting of two sashes, both of which move up and down).
Single-hung windows are available in both new construction or replacement window styles. The chief advantage of the fixed window is that it limits air intrusion, since there are fewer seams that must be blocked with window seals. As time goes by, window seals begin to dry and hard, creating cracks which allow for air seepage. Also, some fixed windows may be less expensive than double-hung or casement windows, due to fewer mechanical parts.
Standard Window Features
- Since 1985 North Star has been an industry leader in the manufacture of attractive and energy-efficient vinyl windows and patio doors.
- Tested and certified by Canadian Standards Association and comply with American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) standards.
- The beauty of our windows can be enhanced through traditional or contemporary grilles, available in three profiles: ¼″ square, ⅝″ flat and ¾″ contour.
- Extrusions come in seven colors – white, ivory, hickory, chestnut brown, cocoa, sable and sandalwood.
- Energy Advantage Low-E is a high performance, energy-efficient glass made with a coating that is designed for top performance in our northern climate, which is why it can rate highest on the Canadian Energy Rating
- Hardware and locks used in our windows are easy to use, secure and come with a lifetime warranty
If you need some window ideas, we’ve put together a gallery of window inspirations: